Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Part 3: I am a Christian what do I do? (2 Timothy 2.5-6)


And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. The hardworking farmer must be first to partake of the crops.

  1. Be honest.

I was eight years old. The Pittsburgh Steelers played the Denver Broncos to a 35-35 tie. I thought it was great. I was a football fan from that point. Terry Bradshaw was my hero. Football and baseball were my two favorite sports. I grew up a big sports fan. Sports became a big part of my life. Through the years I noticed a disturbing trend in sports.  More and more athletes were doing anything to succeed. More and more leagues were doing anything to sell tickets.

The great thing about accepting Christ as your Savior is that the rules never change. We don’t have to do anything unethical. We just have to be honest. We need to compete for God according to His rules. We don’t have to come up with gimmicks to get others to come to Christ. We just need to stick to the message. It’s the same as it always has been. Grace through faith. Honesty and integrity are important aspects of the Christian life. The reason the world doesn’t notice a difference is that we do not live lives that are honest. We talk about following a certain code but we really don’t. We just end up being hypocrites. Saying one thing and doing another. The most honest thing we can do in our lives is ask God are we honest with You? Do we love Him? Do we live for Him? Do we tell others about Him?





  1. Be hard working.

I live around forty miles southwest of Columbus, Ohio in a rural area. Drive south on US-62 and you will find my town. You will drive down a two lane road the whole way. Corn and bean fields litter the landscape along the way. Every spring I notice farmers plowing, and planting. Every fall they harvest. Sure as the sun and the moon exist this happens every year. If the farmers neglected one of these activities they would have no produce.

We as Christians are to be hard working as farmers. Christianity is not some designation we fill out on some paperwork. It is real life. We don’t stop being a Christian at conversion we work harder. Some just want to do enough to get to heaven. That is really sad. Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead for us. We should be willing to return the favor but many of us are content to just do the bare minimum. I had a friend once said that no matter what he did his wife would always love him. His attitude was what is the least I can do for you? Many times this is how we are in our spiritual lives. God what is the least I can do for you today? It should be what can I do for you today?