Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Monday, May 21, 2012

Denying Christ (2 Timothy 2.12b)


“If we deny Him, He also will deny us.”

This is part three of four of the difficult sayings or trustworthy sayings. This is also probably the hardest one to take at first glance. What does this verse mean? Will God deny us if we deny Him? I am sure all of us have denied Him at one time or another in our lives. Did we all lose our salvation? Are we all without hope? Did Christ die for nothing?

As a child I used to have horrible thoughts of what this verse meant. This verse disturbed me greatly. This is how I used to think about this verse. I was standing at the judgment seat of Christ and after my judgment Christ would say I never knew you. Then just before I was about to be kicked out of heaven the Book of Life was read and I was found in it. True story this how I used to think verses like this meant.

Fortunately for all of us that is not what this verse means.  This is a here and now statement. This deals with progressive sanctification. Progressive sanctification is the ups and downs of walking in your faith. Three steps forward two steps back.

When we deny God a part of our lives we deny ourselves His blessings. This is what this verse means. God denies us a blessing that we would have if only we had not denied Him. It is so important to learn this. This verse has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with our Christian walk.

Think of it this way. Denying God a part of our lives is like having dial up internet. We still have a connection but it could be way better. Allowing God fully into our lives is like having DSL or cable internet. We just cruise along at high speed with a full connection.

What part of your life are you denying God? Is there a corner or closet that is off limits to Him?