Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Consider What I Say: 2 Timothy 2.7


Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

           
            Two years ago I had the swine flu. I was stuck in bed for the better part of two weeks. I could barely move. Getting out of bed and going to the bathroom was a major deal. I was miserable. I could not breathe well. I could not eat or sleep. God had me right where He wanted me. See I had allowed anger and pride to enter my life. It was blocking my relationship with God. Those two weeks I had nothing but time to lay and bed and think. What does God want me to do? Am I being a faithful Christian? Do I care what God thinks?

There is an old song that says “I live my life like there’s no tomorrow.” It is a fun song but unfortunately, it describes what so many of us fall into everyday. We do not think about the long term consequences of our actions. Many of teenagers who engage in sex and drugs do not think about the long term consequences. People who drink and drive do not think about the consequences. When people speed while driving, they do not think of the possible consequences. The list goes on and on. What we do in this world has long-term ramifications.

The Apostle Paul is telling Timothy to think about what he is saying. Think about the long term consequences of being a faithful Christian. To say some words someone else tells you to say and going to church once or twice a week is easy. Being a faithful, Christian takes dedication. A faithful Christian is a twenty-four hour a day three hundred sixty five days a year job. Paul is telling Timothy to think about it. Reflect and put some thought into it.  Make sure this is what you want to do. Reflection is an important part of life. If you do not reflect on life there is no possible improvement.


Today reflect on your spiritual life. Are you doing what God wants you to do? Are you living for Him? Have you brought everything to Him in prayer? Are you holding back from God? When we consider what God wants us to do, He will give us understanding.