Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Friday, June 22, 2012

TITHING IS NOT OF GOD by Jackie Osinski (Guest Blogger)



We all know that “The Law” was nailed to the cross.  No matter how you look at it tithing (or the giving of 10% of your income) was part of the law and it therefore is an old testament principal.  Why do so many preachers teach that we are FREE from the law yet preach tithing?  It is because they can’t completely trust God or His people to rightly give to the church.  They operate out of fear – not faith, control – not trust, condemnation  - not freedom.

If pastors were to truly begin to teach that the tithe is Old Testament half the churches in America would shut down – not such a bad start considering that many don’t have a move of God there anyways.  Pastors will even go as far to tell you that if you don’t tithe you are under a curse. Not true!  How much should you give? What should be the guidelines?

Jesus said that when the Holy Spirit would come He would guide us into all truth. Even giving? Yup.  So actually the tithe is the very antithesis of the New Testament principle of allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you as to how much you should give.

When I pastored a church I taught that we are to be led of the Holy Spirit as to how much we are to give.  We never lacked for anything.  We had excess. We were able to open a Baby Shop where several times a week we gave away everything from diapers, medicine, formula, cribs, baby food, bottles and pacifiers.  It was a very small church and people came from everywhere amazed at what God was doing in our small fellowship.  Yes, the Word of God is very clear that you should give.  Giving keeps the lights on, pays the bills, keeps the church functioning.  It is important to give. But there are too many people who give out of guilt instead of a joyful heart.

The Word of God gives us a clear mandate about giving

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God gives a cheerful giver.” 2 Cor. 9:7

There should be two aspects when you give – joyfulness and desire.  You should give a certain amount because the Holy Spirit is leading you, not because you are feeling pressured.  When you do this you feel joy in giving, not a burden.

When I began teaching this principle I had several people tell me that they felt freedom and joy in the Lord, not a burden to have to give a certain percentage. Over the years Michael and I have given anywhere from 2% to 60% of our income. No matter how you look at it the giving should not be based on a percentage but on a heart decision of obedience. We always pray about it and ask the Lord to show us how much we are to give. Sometimes there was nothing to give and I would clean the church. There were times the Lord told us that we were to fix a single mom’s car and not give to the church that month.

When Believers are giving as directed by God it will all work out – there will be no lack.

Even when giving is sacrificial when it is done according to what God tells you to do and not what a pastor has said – there is always joy in it – not fear, guilt or condemnation.

Thank you Jackie for be willing to guest blog on my site. Please check out her blog at:

http://jackieosinski.wordpress.com/category/church-2/