Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Continuing Education


“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”  2 Timothy 2.15


I remember memorizing this verse when I was young. I think every AWANA program or its equivalent has this verse to memorize. This verse is the Continuing Education Program for Christians. Diligence means constant effort to accomplish something. It also means to be attentive and persistent in what you are doing. This is what we miss. When we are saved, it is not over. It has just begun.

My wife was a nurse for fifteen years then she went back to school to be a Nurse Practitioner. Her occupational field demands she continue in her education. It is the same with teachers. We as Christians need to keep studying God’s word to learn more about Him. We should know more about God then we did a few years ago and so on and so on.

Jeremiah 9.24 states, “But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am Yahweh, exercising loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth, for in these I delight,” says Yahweh.

Our knowledge of God should increase. When it does not we are put to shame. We are not doing the one thing that is so easy. This is our primary occupation. We are all full time ministers for Christ. Some just get paid to do it. God should consume our every thought and action. Every year I used to get a review or evaluation at my job. It told me what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. If I did not do a good job, I would get embarrassed, as I should.

1 Peter 3.15 states, “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone that asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.”

How can we tell others about Christ if we do not know His word? If you do not take, God seriously why should others? We need to continue our Christian education. We need to be workers for God. The reason we need to do both of these two is so we know God’s word. So we can use it for His glory. One of the saddest things I see all the time are Christians who do not know God’s word. They are clueless. They believe whatever traditional tells them instead of rightly dividing the word of truth. How many cults come out of the Bible? It is all because people do not study God’s word. We get lazy. Satan counts on that. He tries to get us so involved in whatever that we have no time for God. God wants us to continue our education of Him so we know Him and His word and can tell others about Him.