Job 19.25-27

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my flesh is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another, My heart faints within me." Job 19.25-27

Monday, April 30, 2012

Part 2: I am a Christian what do I do?



“You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.” 2 Timothy 2.3-4
      Be a soldier.

I was eighteen years old when I signed to join the Michigan Army National Guard. I raised my right hand and took an oath to defend the United States of American and the State of Michigan against all enemies foreign and domestic. I gave the government full control of my life to do with it as they saw fit. No matter what was taking place in my life that would serve as second place to the military for the next six years. I had no choice in the matter I made a commitment. Many of us are related to soldiers or know soldiers. We know the commitment they have made and are held to that. We know the sacrifice that comes with deployment orders. When we become Christians we are to be the same way.

Christians are soldiers of Jesus Christ. Not physical soldiers but spiritual soldiers. When you accept Christ as your Savior you agree that everything else becomes second to God. You agreed on that commitment. This is what God expects of you. For the rest of your life God expects everything in your life to be second place to Him. The Father gave His best; He expects your best in return. What does that mean?

Obviously God does not want all of us in vocational ministry. We all have our jobs. The apostle Paul actually made tents for a living. Surrender is what God wants: Our life, our hopes, dreams, vocation, family, our past our present and our future. He wants everything because He wants to have an intimate relationship with us. When we keep a part of lives from God’s control we cheat ourselves from His blessings. God wants us to do everything we do as if we are offering it to him. He does not care how much we accomplish in life as long as we get to know Him better. A good saying is “let go and let God.” Let God be in control of every facet of your life. As Christians we have already signed the recruitment papers. We are God’s and He is ours. He has already made good on His end let us make good on ours. Let us not get entangled in life. Let us get entangled with the Father and let Him do with us as He will. Don’t be a God deserter.  Be a God soldier.

What does God want for my life?
Does He want me to change anything in my life?
How can I focus more on Him?
Have I surrendered my entire being to Him?
Does my life honor God right now?
Am I a God soldier or a God deserter?